The park got its name from Bauer Rock, a mass of dark-colored gneiss that rises about 40-feet above the surrounding mountain crest. The trees near the rock have grown so tall that the view is good only when the trees are bare. Bauer Rock can be reached by a short hike from a small parking area on the south side of East Rock Road, directly across from Mountain Top Lane. Walk around the left side of the fence and follow the trail into the woods. Bauer Rock is about 200-feet beyond the end of the fence.
Cedar Creek Parkway East – Haines Mill. Park Location: South Whitehall Twp., along Cedar Creek between Cedar Crest Blvd. and Haines Mill Road. Park Area is 37.5 acres
This park is mainly for passive recreation. The area along Cedar Creek is mowed making it a pleasant place to walk or fish for trout. There are several picnic tables and benches near the mill raceway. The field on the south side of Cedar Creek is used for little league soccer.
Haines Mill Museum. Location: 3600 Dorney Park Road, Cetronia, South Whitehall Twp. Open: Saturday and Sunday, May thru September, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Admission is free. Other hours by appointment with guide service. Haines Mill is located on Cedar Creek at the western end of Cedar Creek Parkway East. The original mill was erected about 1760. The present mill was rebuilt in 1909 after a fire and operated until 1956. The Lehigh County Commissioners bought Haines Mill in 1972 for preservation as a working grist mill museum. Visitors can watch a water turbine and rolling equipment operated by water power supplied from a mill race in the same way as when it was a thriving commercial venture. The museum is administered by the Lehigh County Historical Society.
Jordan Creek Parkway. Park location: Lehnert Road, Whitehall Township & South Whitehall Township. Park area is 296.1 acres
This large stream valley park offers many passive and active recreation opportunities. Natural features of interest include a large wooded tract composed mostly of mature oaks, several old fields in various stages of succession, two water-filled mine holes, and extensive flood plain areas along the Jordan Creek. Jordan Creek and the mine holes are stocked for fishing. The park is excellent for bird watching and nature study. There is a picnic area along the Jordan Creek east of Mickley Road.
Active recreation facilities include: four tennis courts; baseball, softball and soccer fields, and a gamefield-jogging course. There is a community garden and a home compost demonstration plot at the sharp bend in Lehnert Road. The County Parks Department headquarters and maintenance facilities are located on Lehnert Road. More ballfields are added on the south side of Lehnert Road across from the County Parks Department headquarters.
Lock Ridge Park and Furnace Museum. 525 Franklin St. Alburtis, Pa. 18011
The centerpiece of the 59 acre park is the Lock Ridge Furnace. What looks like a stone castle was a coal burning iron furnace. The beauty of the furnace and surrounding structures belie their industrial roots. Lock Ridge is uniquely beautiful when the bluebells are in bloom. “Bluebells” are actually muscari, or grape hyacinth, a plant that produces spikes of blue flowers that resemble bunches of grapes in the spring. The stone structures, arches, and flora make Lock Ridge a favorite place for photography and weddings.
Lock Ridge Park offers a variety of recreational activities. There are trails through the open and wooded areas of the park for hiking, biking, and nature study. There is a field for T-ball and girls softball. Swabia Creek runs through the park and offers limited fishing.
An 81 seat pavilion with a grill, fireplace, and restroom can be reserved. The outdoor area next to the furnace building can be reserved for weddings and events. A room in the cast house can be reserved for special events.
Lock Ridge Furnace Museum: Lock Ridge Furnace Museum is a unique monument to the Lehigh County’s industrial heritage. It was an important part of the early iron industry. It operated as an iron mill from 1868 until 1921. Lehigh County acquired the Furnace in 1972. In 1981, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum is operated by the Lehigh County Historical Society. Visitors can tour the rebuilt furnace room, the engine house, and the original cast house. Exhibits illustrate how iron was made over a hundred years ago. Numbered signs allow visitors to take a self-guided tour at any time. Guided tours are offered from 1 to 4 PM on Saturdays and Sundays from May to September. Call 610-435-1074 for additional information on tours.
Bob Rodale Cycling and Fitness Park. 1151 Mosser Road, Trexlertown, PA 18031.
This 103 acre park offers varied recreational and sporting activities for all ages. The area west of Mosser Road has a 1.3 mile, 24 foot wide, paved track with a flat inner loop through the Trexlertown Pines and an open hill loop. There are separate lanes for walking, cycling, and inline skating.
Miles of trails wind through the pine woodlands for walking and nature appreciation with a wetlands boardwalk, benches for relaxation, and an observation pier. Children can play in the tot lot with a sand box and tricycle trail. Two youth soccer fields are available for play. A 48 seat pavilion with a grill can be reserved for family occasions and special events.
Velodrome / Valley Preferred Cycling Center
The area east of Mosser Road contains the Valley Preferred Cycling Center. The center is the premier track racing facility on the East Coast and attracts international track cycling competitors and enthusiasts. World class racing events are held throughout the summer months. The Velodrome has programs for youth and adult cycling. Information and schedules for Velodrome events can be found at www.thevelodrome.com. The east side of Mosser Road has a softball field, a combined softball field / cricket pitch, basketball and volleyball courts, and a children’s playground. Residents can reserve the 32 seat pavilion with grill. The east area also contains a softball field and a combined softball field / cricket pitch. There is also a playground and basketball court. A pavilion can be reserved for picnics and gatherings.
Troxell-Steckel House and Farm Museum. 4229 Reliance Street, village of Egypt, Whitehall Twp. Park area is 31.4 acres.
House and Farm Museum: Open Saturday and Sunday, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., June through October. Admission is free. Built in 1755-56 by John Peter Troxell and now owned by the Lehigh County Historical Society, this colonial stone farmhouse is an excellent example of German medieval style architecture brought to eastern Pennsylvania by German settlers. The adjacent barn contains an exhibit of farm implements.
The area on the north side of Reliance Street is suited to passive recreation activities such as picnicking and fishing. Coplay Creek is stocked with trout from the Cedarbrook hatchery.
Louise W. Moore Park. Country Club Road, Lower Nazareth & Bethlehem Townships.
A 100 acre community park with picnic pavilions, hiking trails, playground, tennis courts, softball field, and community gardens.
Wy-Hit-Tuk Park Rt. 611 (Delaware River Scenic Drive) Williams Township.
A 23 acre community park located along the Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor with picnic pavilion, playground, organized group camping (by permit only), and hiking trails. Modern restrooms are open through October.